Pages

Search All Things 40K

Monday, January 18, 2010

Eldar Jetbikes: Step-By-Step


Eldar Jetbikes. It is about time I got around to painting my squad (I have a 12-man squad, 3 of which are Shuriken Cannons). In celebration of this, I've been reading up on the tactics articles on Fritz's blog The Way of Saim-Hann. Great stuff, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Step 1: Basecoat
Note that during this step-by-step, the models are NOT glued to their stands. I just dry attach them before each picture so you can see how it looks.

Step 2: Mordian Blue
I'm trying a new process to get a good blue (also, because I'm looking to start an Ultramarines army). Lay it down thick and get it in all the crevices.

Step 3: Enchanted Blue
It's an old pot, but not a discontinued color. This was heavily drybrushed over the Mordian Blue.

Step 4: Ice Blue
Light drybrush, mostly along edges.

Step 5: Skull White
Very light drybrush. Only on the edges.

Step 6: Asurmen Blue Wash
As is typical with my style, I like to build brighter than I want, then wash it down. Dowse it.

Step 7: Iyanden Darksun
As the yellows are notoriously thin, anything to be yellow is first done with the foundation paint.

Step 8: Sunburst Yellow
This took 2 to 3 coats, despite the foundation paint to get it good and bright.

I plan to hit this with Devlan Mud, then re-build, but first, there is another color I want to wash with Devlan Mud, so let's get that one ready too.

Step 9: Vermin Fur
This is for all the leather bits.

Step 10: 1:1 mix of Vermin Fur : Bleached Bone
Drybrushed over the leather sections.

Step 11: Devlan Mud Wash
I hit both the helmets and the leather. You'll notice I didn't hit the details on the carapace, because there really was no details for the wash to pick out.

Step 12: Sunburst Yellow
Bring the helmets back up, staying out of the crevices picked out by the Devlan Mud.

Step 13: Bleached Bone
I normally have a 5-step process for bone, but this was an attempt to bring that down to a 2-step.

Step 14: Gryphonne Sepia
Washed over the bone. It's a good quick effect, though I think I'll be going back to the 5-step from here on out.

Step 15: Boltgun Metal
Foot pedals, handlebars and all the mechy bits under the seat were drybrushed with this. I do apologize for the bad angle on the pic, you can hardly see where it was applied.

Step 16: Gryphonne Sepia Wash
Here's a better view of those bits I was talking about. I generally wash Boltgun Metal with Gryphonne Sepia for Tau and Eldar, because it gives the metal a neat almost alien look, but not rusty.

Step 17: Macharius Solar Orange
Most of my Alaitoc Eldar are gingers. :) Here's the steps I use to get that red-head look.

Step 18: Tausept Ochre
Light drybrush.

Step 19: Devlan Mud Wash
3-step redhead. It may not be bright red like my wife's hair, but I like it nonetheless.

Step 20: Jade Green (Snot Green)
This is for the gemstones. Unfortunately, GW has discontinued Jade Green as a color. It's really a shame, as Jade Green was a very saturated color. Nice and bright. I would suggest as an alternative to use Snot Green. It's as close as you're going to get (as far as the GW paints) without mixing a proprietary blend.

Step 21: Dark Angels Green
Applied to the upper left area of the gemstones.

Step 22: Putrid Green (Scorpion Green)
Another discontinued color. They re-named it Scorpion Green. This is applied as a curved line in the lower right area of the gemstones. Also, I used it to paint the eyes.

Step 23: Skull White
A small highlight dot in the middle of the Dark Angels Green on the gemstones.

With the models themselves done, we move on to the bases...

Step 24: Calthan Brown basecoat
Mmm, earthy.

Step 25: Basing sand/rocks
It's important to note that in order to get a good solid hold on the basing material, it was applied in three steps. First, lay down the PVA glue (Elmer's White). Next, sprinkle/pour on the basing material. Lastly, after the glue has dried and you've shaken off the excess, coat it with a watered down PVA. This will make sure you don't lose sand over time.

Step 26: Devlan Mud Wash
I like my earth dark.

Step 27: Static Grass
Lay down some PVA glue, sprinkle on the static grass, then gently blow the excess off (this will also make the grass stand up).

Voila! Guardian Jetbikes:
I think the most fun/interesting part to all this was coming up with unique designs for the carapaces. I didn't want any bike pattern to be duplicated. I view the Eldar as a very eclectic bunch, and while disciplined (and Alaitoc are notoriously stern), I like to think of the jetbikes (and Storm Guardians) as one step from taking the path of the Ranger. Hence the leather jackets and individualistic carapace designs.

Let me know what you think.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Analytics